The one hour long panel was moderated by John Moulding, Editor of Videonet, and included the following speakers:
Jonas Hasselberg, Head of Consumer Products, TeliaSonera
Vassilis Seferidis, Director, European Business Development, Samsung Electronics
Stephen Christian, VP, Marketing, Verimatrix
Description and webcast discussion points.
The proliferation of connected TV devices, from game consoles to Smart TVs and streamer devices, means Pay TV operators have the chance to extend their reach to existing subscribers, making the service available on different TVs cost-effectively. At the same time they can target new customers with online-only packages in what is termed an â€˜offnetâ€™ strategy. They might offer a subset of the traditional bouquet or more flexible packaging and pricing to appeal to free-to-air homes, something that is being called â€˜Pay TV-Liteâ€™. There is also a chance for Pay TV operators to use online delivery and connected TV devices as the basis of their whole TV strategy, either launching services that would not otherwise be possible (for example, OTT instead of multicast IPTV) or migrating from multicast IPTV to OTT.
With more connected devices and better broadband and CDN technologies, and more interest than ever in turning free-to-air homes into light Pay TV users, we could see the emergence of new OTT delivery and business models in the next few years, including ‘offnet’, ‘Pay TV-Lite’ and even OTT-only for the Pay TV market. In all cases the platform operator needs to present its service within an app on the connected device and guarantee that it is secure. This live audio discussion will assess the opportunities and challenges when pursuing this ‘Operator as an App’ model. Discussion points will include :
- CE apps versus multiroom DVR for reach extension inside the home.
- The rationale and market for offnet services including Pay TV-Lite.
- IPTV vs OTT: where are telcos heading?
- Making adaptive bit rate streaming as secure as traditional video.
- How do you keep connected CE devices secure against developing threats?
- Content sharing in the home: the impact of DLNA Premium Video.
- Is there an opportunity for better audience analytics using OTT and an App?
- How can operators maintain primacy of the UI, and do they need to?
- Could the fragmented apps development environment kill â€˜Operator as an Appâ€™ ambitions?