At IBC, video compression specialist V-Nova will showcase the latest updates to its PERSEUS video encoding software, with demonstrations of business models and deployments which the company claims are only commercially viable because of its ability to provide high-quality video services at low bit-rates.
The IBC demos will include:
• India’s FastFilmz mobile video platform, which uses PERSEUS to provide quality video-streaming over 2G networks, which has helped it quadruple its addressable market to 120m consumers.
• Live Full HD sports over mobile, using PERSEUS to deliver full 1080p HD video to mobile devices at less than 1.5Mbit/s over unreliable phone networks.
• IPTV distribution for Sky Italia, where PERSEUS has extended service reach to existing deployed STBs by a factor of eight or more, by reducing the bit-rate for its HD IP service from 8Mbit/s to less than 4Mbit/s, with the same visual quality and using existing infrastructure.
• Contribution of UEFA Euro Championship 2016 4K international feeds to Eutelsat for the launch of Italian broadcaster RAI’s new UHD channel, using PERSEUS to provide visually lossless 4K video feeds alongside HD, using existing telco contribution circuits. V-Nova says this makes the contribution of live events in UHD/4K economically viable for day-to-day commercial services.
• VR/360 video: V-Nova says the use of PERSEUS increases the quality and reach of new VR entertainment applications, which need to transmit at least 4K-standard video to mobile devices.