A new White Paper from Varnish Software argues that we have reached an inflection point for streaming video, “which in some homes has become the norm but is still held back by infrastructure limits.” The company, which provides server/caching technology that takes care of streaming requests and so relieves the burden on origin servers/backends, suggests that “as more content moves ‘online’ we need a step-change in the performance and economics of streaming content delivery.” The White Paper addresses:
- Consumer trends that are accelerating the migration to HTTP-based viewing
- Characteristics of a caching layer that is ready for anything across live, VoD, popular and long-tail content
- How to introduce unprecedented storage and throughput capacity using fewer servers
- How to protect the origin/backend from the threat of overload and achieve best-in-class reliability
- The considerations that are driving more streaming service providers towards a private, DIY CDN model.
You can download the White Paper here.